Intersection: Faith and Critical Social Justice

Salt on the roads, salt of the earth.

On this Monday-snow-day I thought it would be good to use my extra time to reflect on my faith and what it means to me to be Christian. I hold a lot of believes about what it means to be Christian and those believes do evolve. My current central understanding of what it means to be a Christian means I should fight for social change with love and through critical social justice.

My current understanding of how to work for critical social justice is to first, know myself, understand how my socialization effects my world view and what my privileges are. Then I must be in dialogue with people, by loving, listening, and finding what solutions to social ills and injustices are needed, instead of doing what I want to do. To have a real dialog there must not be a power imbalance or hierarchy between me and people I am working with. I may have to get rid of or attempt to negate some of my privilege in order to participate fully in a dialog. While working for social change it is important that I mutually learn and teach while fighting for social justice. I need to reflect on what I am doing to make sure I am conscious of what I am doing and learning.

Drop your nets and follow me.

Why do I believe that to be Christian is to follow critical social justice? I believe Christians are supposed to follow the example set to us by Jesus. To love one another as God loves us. I believe God loves us unconditionally and contently works to help us create justice in the world. God was willing to come to earth and be human, ate with the least valued people, healed among other things before dying. Jesus doesn’t just heal people, he always asked first if he could heal. When asking his disciples to follow him, Jesus first tells his disciples to drop their earthly possessions and literally follow his footsteps, where ever he might travel to. Later on, he tells his disciples to leave everything they have and go spread knowledge of the love of God.

God has followed the steps of critical social justice except losing all power above humans and reflecting after Jesus dies. Being God, Jesus could not get rid of all his power, just like I can’t get rid of all of mine. And as for reflection I think, God’s reflection was not highly visible to the world, instead of non-existent. I claim “not highly visible” because I think it is visible in the Holy Spirit, the continuing love of God for us and our (that is humanities) continuing love of God and each other. This is how I see the life of Jesus as working through critical social justice and, therefore, how I think I am supposed to live my life.

I am a generational Episcopalian, currently a member of St. Paul’s B-ham.

Thanks to my parents and other people who formed my faith and to my Compass 2 Campus class and in particular the article Beyond Empathy: Developing Critical   Consciousness Through Service Learning by Cynthia Rosenberger, for helping me become me, giving me my faith tradition, my passion for critical social justice and leading me on several occasions to connect the love of God to social justice.

The images are mine, crated on Word, and/or Paint and then captured and saved with Sniping Tool.

4 thoughts on “Intersection: Faith and Critical Social Justice

1. Faith and critical social justice is a concept that has been argued about for decades. There is a new book out “Faith and Social Choice” by Robin Rose and Mark Winters that claims to have the answers. The main focus of the book is to define faith as an attitude of commitment to a set of values or beliefs grounded in reason and rationality. The book does not define faith but instead provides examples of how faith can be used and required to deal with many of society’s problems. It is an intriguing glimpse into how faith and social choice interact.

It would appear that faith is required for a certain group of people in societies to maintain a sense of social order because without faith, they would have no means of enforcing social rules. Faith also appears to be important in ensuring a sense of personal responsibility and accountability, and this again helps to ensure that a sense of social responsibility and accountability is maintained. By providing an example of how a faith based program can work, Rose and Winters claim that faith is important for all of us and that without it we are weak.

The bottom line is that there are many different opinions on faith and social justice, with some people believing that faith is important while others argue that it has no place in a democratic society. There is no one right answer and everyone will have their own personal opinion. It is important to have an honest discussion about faith and critical social justice and I am sure that the debate will continue to take place.