Rain Forest

By James Fitzgerald

Information Collected and Compiled by: Abigail Thomas, Natasha Scandiffio, and Sandy Nhan

Rain Forest Photos

Initial Reaction

I always remember passing by some kind of sculpture with a fountain near the Recreational Center. The figure was interesting, but I never paid any attention to what it actually was. I thought of it as some kind of design as the centerpiece of the fountain. Although at a closer glance, I noticed it was not just a single tower of some kind of random design. It was a sculpture, multiple little metal works put together to make one artwork called, Rainforest. I never thought such a figure would go from being something so simplistic looking, to something that the hands of an artist had made. This tower was made from bronze and was turned into a tree-like structure to match the title that it was given. It was said that this sculpture would sound like an actual rainforest when the fountain was active. Unfortunately, it was inactive at the time when I was looking at it, but I was fortunate enough to see what was inside the fountain when there was no water present.

Seeing the full structure of piece, I notice that there were more bronze “logs” on the side of the towered one. They surrounded the tower as if they was guarding something. Also, near the main vertical piece, there was one bronze log laying completely on its side. Upon a closer view, I discovered there was calligraphy inscribed on the metal pieces. How all the different parts came together to form one sculpture completely fascinated me. But, there was something that struck me and caught my attention. I have no idea if it was intentional or on purpose, but when I looked at the title of the work on the plaque, I noticed that there was another plaque by it. The second plaque read, “In memory of those who served in World War II.” The plaque showed me a whole new image on what meaning the sculpture might hold. I stood there as I was mesmerized, finding out this sculpture was not just a design, but something that has deeper symbolism.

I imagine while the fountain is active, droplets of water can be heard as if the person themselves were walking in a tranquil, quiet rainforest, remembering those who were with us through hard times in World War II. The sound of droplets surely bring harmony to the ears of the viewers and provide a memory worth not forgetting.

About the Artist:

James Fitzgerald

jfphoto

James Fitzgerald was a well-known mod Sculptor in Washington who lived from 1910 to 1973. Besides a sculptor he was also a surreal Painter, printmaker, ceramist, and craftsman.  He attended the University of Washington, The Kansas City Art institute, Colorado spring Fine Arts Center, and Yale University. He was also a director at the Spokane Arts Center in 1941. Active throughout the pacific northwest he was known as an innovative and modern artist. He has many of his works on public display today and has been commissioned to do many works for companies and associations in Seattle.

About the Work:

Rain Forest

Rain Forest was completed in 1959 and installed at Western Washington University in 1960.  The sculpture is the campuses first installment to be put in the existing sculpture garden.  Fitzgerald created this bronze fountain as a representation of Washington’s Olympic peninsula Forest, and the closely connected regions of China and Japan.

James FitzGerald’s original intent in creating his sculpture Rain Forest was to refer to the natural resources of the Northwest as displayed by tree like bronze sculpture protruding high into the air. The bark like texture on the bronze metal could either be a single tree or multiple trees and the horizontal pieces within the design could be that of fallen trees. On the bronze pieces can be seen calligraphic patterns which refer to the close connection between our region with China and Japan. Finally, the soft trickle of water that falls when the sculpture becomes a fountain represents the consistent rain found in the northwest.

“Rain Forest” was the first sculpture Fitzgerald did but it certainly wasn’t his last. “Fountain of Freedom” is another very earthy bronze sculpture of Fitzgerald’s; it is currently located at Princeton University.   He is the artist behind the Bas-relief panels at the east point of the Mount Baker Tunnel, located in Seattle. Another piece by Fitzgerald include the tile mosaic, in the Washington State Law library, in Olympia Washington. Many more of his works are spread throughout Washington, and some other states.   

What the current data and research reveals about the sculpture is that Fitzgerald loved the northwest and was constantly inspired by his surroundings. Those who see his work are able to view the northwest through Fitzgerald’s eyes and appreciate it like he did,. Understandably, it makes sense why he was commissioned so many times within the city of Seattle to make public works. His sculpture Rain Forest, is just another example of Fitzgerald being inspired by his surroundings and portraying a piece of the beauty and wonder the Northwest holds.

About the Time Period:

1959

The sculpture was made about a decade and a half after the end of WWII, during the rise of the Cuban leader Fidel Castro. Tensions ran high threw out the world, people were trying to not only rebuild basic infrastructure, they were trying to rebuild social connections. As a result, Rain forest was constructed in a time of strong need for the unity of opposites. Rain Forest was dedicated to WWII veterans in 2004, with the help of the Ted E. Gary family.

Credits

Group Collaboration on project

Abigail Thomas: Photography & Research

Natasha Scandiffio: WordPress Admin & Research

Sandy Nhan: Initial reaction & Research

Photo of James Fitzgerald: Watson Fitzgerald Studios LLC