Normanno Wedge (1980) – Beverly Pepper

Music by: Chan Wai Fat from the Free Music Archive

With this piece Pepper was interested in going beyond the “embryo” state of a wedge. The sculpture can be quite thin and slender when viewed from the front, but when viewed from the side it appears more voluminous. The influence of industrialization on this piece is apparent, due to the use of dense geometric shapes and through the use of cast iron. Finding the right location for the sculpture was important to her, Pepper specifically requested that it be placed on a mound in a heavily populated area. When asked about her work in 2010 she said; “I believe my work offers a place for reflection and contemplative thought within the context of active urban environments.” 

“I believe my work offers a place for reflection and contemplative thought within the context of active urban environments.” – Beverley Pepper (2010)

Sources:

Sutton, Benjamin. “A Day for Detroit: Beverly Pepper’s Giant Wedge of Steel | In the Air.”Blouin Artinfo Blogs. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Apr. 2017.

The People History — Steve Pearson. “1970s Important News and Events, Key Technology Fashion and Popular Culture.” What Happened in the 1970s Inc. News, Popular Culture, Prices and Technology. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Apr. 2017.

Salter, Kate. “The Brilliant Artist You’ve Never Heard Of: Interview with Sculptor Beverly Pepper.” The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, 29 June 2014. Web. 26 Apr. 2017.

Krauss, Rosalind E. Beverly Pepper: Sculpture in Place. N.p.: Abbeville, 1986. Print.

Russell, John. “ART: BEVERLY PEPPER, SCULPTOR, IN 3 SHOWS.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 18 June 1987. Web. 26 Apr. 2017.

Group members:

Henry Watts – Video filming and stop motion animation.

Kimberly Diep – Research.

Ichiro Enomoto – Research.