For Handel utilizes intense contrast between bright red and the blue sky. Photo by Amanda Jenkinson.

“For Handel” by Mark Di Suvero is a stunning sculpture that sits in Western Washington University’s Northern end of campus, and it tends to be one of the most noticed features by students that visit this area. It is no surprise that it is one of the most recognizable sights; its sheer size, steely shape, and bright color easily draw any passerby’s attention. As a group of three, we were interested in first telling our initial reactions to this vibrant work of art to show that the sculpture can most definitely have multiple interpretations to its visual appearance and the feelings it may provoke.

Samantha

Samantha Jenkinson – Watercolor

“The shape of For Handel reminded me of the shape of shattering glass, or a bunch of branches connected together.”

Initial Reaction

While I have seen this sculpture several times as I pass by it to attend my classes, I had never truly thought about its possible meaning or what it was meant to convey to its viewers. When I look at this artwork, the main idea that comes to mind, or my “gut feeling”, is its unique form and feeling of sharp structure compared to the softness and more dully colored environment it is placed in. Students who pass by this piece may also have their attention drawn to its massive size and height, which, while it may be similar in size to the buildings that surround it, is still different in its asymmetrical and slanted form compared to the straight and uniformly built premises.

Art Interpretation

In my artwork, I chose to use watercolors and bring a more abstract approach to my feelings about the sculpture. At first I wasn’t sure how to bring meaning to this work, but the shape of “For Handel” reminded me of the shape of shattering glass, or a bunch of branches connected together. Because of the sculpture’s major real world contrast to its environment, I thought that it could invoke the meaning of constantly forming relationships and connections with its joined apex, its interpreted expanding endings at the tips, and its color that never seems to fade. Another interpretation can be considered in the ways and means in which it is structured. The art’s asymmetrical form and the metal-like, or very strong, material it is made from can suggest the feeling of impenetrability and a rise over gravity or other controlling or diminishing rules that govern society. The vibrancy of the red paint over it can also go with this interpretation, differing strikingly from its background and letting go of the ideas that formed the past ways of living. A new generation finding their own way in the world and sometimes living differently from the norm is represented by the branching paths of metal at the tip of the artistic structure, and gives us a chance to understand an ever expanding society and culture.

Phoenix

Phoenix Walker – Watercolor, Acrylic Paint, Permanent Marker

“I wanted to show the playfulness of the piece, while also showing it’s imposing nature.”

Initial Reaction

To me, it is a very overwhelming sculpture in shape, size, and color. The sheer mass of it intimidates me as if it’s looming presence will crash down on me like a falling tree. The shape makes me feel like I’m going to be attacked as it is very sharp – made of corners and lines – with almost no roundness to it. Lastly the color, red, is very in line with what is commonly associated with certain emotions. Red can be passion or love, but it can also mean power, urgency, and anger. When I look at this sculpture I definitely see it as more of an aggressive red, like a glowing stop sign or a fire truck screaming down the street. However, the fact that the sculpture is placed next to the music building does have me second guess my initial impression of the sculpture. Its next to a place of creation and flow, of varying emotions and wonder. It had me thinking that maybe the sculpture looks more playful than it does angry.

Art Interpretation

In this piece, I used watercolor, acrylic paint, and permanent marker. I wanted to show the playfulness of the piece, while also showing it’s imposing nature. Combining watercolor and acrylic was done to help emphasize what I had done in acrylic, making the closer beam pop. The small black figures doing various things on the still life image of For Handel are playing instruments, jumping, climbing, and even cartwheeling. I was hoping this would show not only the emotional intention of the piece but the physical intention For Handel had more interactive pieces attached that allowed people to swing underneath it.

Amanda

Amanda Jenkinson – Acrylic paint, Black ink

“I thought about how it might look in a comic book, where bold colors clash with strong black outlines.”

Initial Reaction

I remember walking by this piece when visiting the Western campus for the very first time on an orientation tour. It’s something so larger than life, so memorable. To me, its size is the aspect of this piece that is most immediately recognizable. I noticed second the color, a bright powerful red. These two factors in conjunction make the piece very memorable and easy to recognize. Anybody walking by will find it hard to keep their attention away from this sculpture, making it a focal piece of our campus.

Art Interpretation

After contemplating the sculpture, I concluded that this piece has a very graphic, bold quality. Straight, solid lines and bold red contrasts strikingly with the natural flow of the sky and its clouds. I thought about how it might look in a comic book, where bold colors clash with strong black outlines. I tried to mimic a comic-like shading style with my painting, and experimented with different red hues while filling in the sculpture’s color. To make it stand out, I lined it with black, and left most of the background unlined so it didn’t draw too much attention.

To me, the sculpture represents the powerful presence of human perfection on a natural backdrop. Us humans are always trying to find the perfect, most efficient, and straightest line to reach our goals. Nature has been pushed to the background, and many of us never find an opportunity to thoroughly appreciate the outdoors for what it has to offer. Human machinations cast their shadow upon the natural world, and may forever leave a permanent mark on environmental health. The sculpture is bold and easily noticeable in a natural setting, and this boldness is also found in comic books and graphic novels.

Final thoughts

As seen from our art interpretations of For Handel, the sculpture can deliver different feelings and emotions towards its audience. For this reason, Di Suvero’s work of art deserves its place on Western’s campus to invite students to create and express their own ideas and imaginations to the world. We hope that our interpretations of this sculpture bring rise to more creation of art in today’s society.

Works cited:

Clark-Langager, Sarah. Sculpture in Place a Campus as Site. Western Washington University, 2002.

Clark-Langager, Sarah. “For Handel.” For Handel | Western Gallery, Western Washington University, westerngallery.wwu.edu/sculpture/handel.