Blogging with “Class”

Ok, so you are thinking of rolling in ‘blogging’ into your class. You are thinking of having this be an opportunity for students to develop website/portfolio skills, as well as a way for your class to ‘blog’ on a central site for public web (or ‘private’ internal WWU network) publishing. If this sounds interesting- look at “My Class” in your wp.wwu.edu dashboard of the site you want to use for your course.

My Class

“My Class” in wp.wwu.edu can be used for managing student blogs for a class*

• * Students will have to have first signed in to wp.wwu.edu to request access- more on this in a moment…

This tool will allow students to request access as an author-like users to the class blog, perfect if you are intending students to publish posts for a single class site, and not requiring your students to have their own individual student blogs. However, it also provides a widget for faculty to provide to a central class site that will provide a roster of links to student sites if you are intended student to write to their own site- and don’t want to go through the onerous route of having every student add you (the faculty) to their site.

Students can self enroll into your class

And they request access, you will be able to see who these user names are to approve access.

Students can then write to your class site, and you are able to see their site that they signed up with (if you are intended to see what they are doing on their site outside of the class site). Or use the Class widget to add a roster of student site links for the students enrolled

So the downside?

From what I can tell, it appears (as of right now) a student can only be enrolled into a single class at a time. I am hoping there is a setting I am missing as this could be problematic if a single student has two classes who employ this in their course.

Details

In this documentation, it walks you through the steps to setup this plugin.

Reference: http://help.edublogs.org/set-up-my-class/