Fueling my Students’ Vehicular Bodies

Before reading the McRuer essay, I didn’t put much thought into the metaphorical idea of my student’s (dis)able-bodies. From first meeting my students, I couldn’t tell from outside appearances if any of them were disabled, but I was aware that one of my students is registered with disability services, and really struggles with grammar and mechanics in reading/writing, and another one of my students has ADHD.  

I suppose I think of my student’s bodies as their cars or vehicles of transportation from point A to point B. From the outside, all of these vehicles seem fine, they appear to be running smoothly and efficiently. But the key to a successfully running car is the mechanics inside and under the hood- students’ mental and social able-ness so to speak. The outside of these cars might look shiny and new and lively, but the mechanics is what allows these people to function properly.  

I consider my students’ mental health, social anxieties and abilities, as well as their learning (dis)abilities and corporealities to be the engine of their bodily vehicles. I have to engage with each of my student’s differently, because, as we all know, each student is unique, just as every car runs and drives differently. My students’ cognitive capabilities and mental coherence might all differ, but I strongly believe that these students are all bound to succeed in my course. One example that I’ve found to be helpful for my students who all learn and comprehend directions in different ways is to provide them with two platforms of instruction; I always post step by step instructions on a powerpoint for the class, but I also read these aloud and comment on them. This provides my class with two methods of intake, one verbal and one written. I’ve found that providing multiple and different platforms of homework and class activities creates a greater understanding from my students, everyone appears to be on the same page.  

Referring back to my car/vehicle analogy, when my student’s bodies are running smoothly on the inside, this fuels my own body/mind as their instructor. Their success and comprehension quite literally fuels me to continue, or change, my teaching style according to the class’s general approval and understanding. My class functions dynamically in this way- I am fueled, excited, and energized from my students’ success and this largely relies on their successes as functioning students. My body/mind is enforced and supported through their body/mind success and understanding, and vice versa.