Meet the Artist

Mark di Suvero, born on September 18, 1933 in Shanghai, China, is an abstract expressionist artist – sometimes referred to as an “action sculptor” who uses mediums such as wood and steel in unconventional ways to make bold statements. Suvero endured serious challenges during his career which he consistently overcame. After graduating from Berkeley University in 1957, he moved to New York City to avoid the Korean War. During March 1960, just before his first solo exhibition at Green Gallery, Suvero suffered a nearly fatal elevator accident while working at a construction site. Though his injuries were severe, he made an incredible comeback in 1965 by walking again – despite the odds. In 1966, he collaborated with Irving Petlin to create the Peace Tower (also known as The Artists’ Tower of Protest) which was a 55-foot tall steel tetrahedron from which 418 works of art protesting the Vietnam War were displayed. When questioned about the structural integrity of the piece by local building inspectors, di Suvero responded by suspending a car from the tower – earning city clearance for his structure. Despite frequent acts of vandalism at the site and violent physical attacks on the artists, the tower was completed and powerful in it’s message of resiliency and opposition.

Mark di Suvero is an artist as hardy as the pieces he creates. A lifelong activist and artist for Peace, Suvero is like his sculptures reaching skyward – a figure to “look up to”

For Handel (1975)

After suspending a car from Peace Tower, Suvero constructed For Handel, which originally suspended a metal swing but was later removed after a group of football players left it dented and as a safety hazard. Over 40 years old, Mark di Suvero’s massive steel creation at Western Washington University continues to exist as a bold and inspiring composition. Created as an architectural tribute to the composer George Frederic Handel (1685-1759), the sculpture reflects Suvero’s personal understanding of music, art, and their interaction with a given environment. For Handel is a site-specific piece, designed for the plaza where it’s located. The perfectly balanced steel beams resemble and emanate the dance of a composer’s baton; pointing to the Preforming Art’s Center, mountains, arboretum and Bellingham Bay. For Handel shows Suvero’s skill for creating artworks that engage with their given environments. Given the size and weight of the materials used, he had to carefully operate a crane to complete the piece. Though the sounds of construction at the time likely were not as rhythmical as the music of Handel, the end result shares semblance by it’s intensity.

How we’ve gotten a handle on For Handel

“My relationship with the sculpture changed after researching the artist and artist’s muse. Suvero’s strong personality, as well as Handel’s striking spirit, seem to glow within the work and its surrounding environment. I hadn’t previously considered the energy and talent it takes to construct such a piece. I now interpret and engage with For Handel as an inspiration to pursue my higher purpose and find balance in the process. Rather than feeling intimidated by the size, as I stand beneath the striking red beams I feel as if I am standing in the possibilities of what I can become. Perfectly balanced, stable, and strong; the piece represents a way of composure that allows for the cadence of life, growth, and self-actualization” – Katia

“When researching about For Handel, I have learned many things about the creator and how he was inspired by the composer George Frederic Handel. Knowing all the information about the sculpture, every time I walk passed it I feel inspired by the sculpture and how it reaches upward. Before I was doing the project for Art 109, I never knew about the author or even the name of the sculpture and why it was made. I also never would have bothered to look it up. But in searching for and reading information about “For Handel”, I gained insight about the world around me and my place in it. In fact, the thing I like most about the art is where it’s placed in the campus. I feel that the sculpture is placed perfectly looking over the Bellingham Bay. Because of this, one day I would like to make an artwork and install it somewhere so that it is relevant and inspiring to many people.” -Mae

“Mark di Suvero’s For Handel sculpture is attention grabbing. It’s towering, and a bold, fire-engine red. Hard to miss and just a bit intimidating. Still, the bright colors and design make me think of a playground structure, but much, much larger. A part of me wanted to climb it. The sculpture is made from steel beams, the figure composed of harsh, angular lines. Despite the sharp edges, the sculpture has a degree of movement and flow, like it’s reaching up to the sky. In some ways, I think it’s beautiful, it certainly seemed more so the longer I looked at it. It fits the space so well, integrating itself with the plaza and the view of the bay beyond. My first impression was that it was a bit of an eye-sore, honestly; I prefer more natural themes, with soft edges and interesting textures, but For Handel is industrial and abstract. However, when I started my research and learned more about this sculpture, I began to appreciate it more, its playful elegance grew more appealing.” -Anna

By blending the elegant music of Mark di Suvero’s muse for this piece with representations of it’s current standing, we sought to explore the transmutation of idea – through auditory art in the distant past, sculptural art of the recent past, and current state of possibility in the present. More than just a sculpture, For Handel is a symbol. It’s influence of strength, balance, and resiliency is one that the campus and students of WWU greatly benefit from. It’s a structure, unlike others, that is not likely to collapse and as a result, invites viewers to climb, explore, and engage freely.

Works Cited

The Art Story Contributors, “Mark di Survero American Sculptor Movement: Modern Sculpture”, http://www.theartstory.org/artist-di-suvero-mark.htm,  20 September 2018.

“The Heinz Awards 11th”, http://www.heinzawards.net/recipients/mark-di-suvero, 20 September 2018
Trainer, Carolyn. “The Circle of Life Between Students and Art: how students shaped and deteriorated aspects of WWU’s art.” The Odyssey, 17 August 2015, https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-circle-life-between-students-and-art