Robert Maki

Maki graduated from Western Washington University in 1962, his Curve/Diagonal piece was purchased the Virginia Write Fund in 1980 and in 1981 was installed on WWU’s campus with the direction and permission from Robert Maki himself. Later in his life he was awarded alumni of the Century in Art at Western Washington University. Maki also talks about how his life influenced his art explaining, “The first ten years of my life on the road with my father, hopping freight trains, living in multiple towns up and down the Columbia River between 1938-48 is the strongest influence in my life and work, coupled with five women in my immediate family who are strong, motivated and tireless in their efforts to care for family and the greater whole.  In my youth, mechanical drawing, a 1950’s Life magazine article on Pollack’s dripping paint and Albers’ Homage to a Square, WWII environment and exposure to American and European masters including artist such a Winslow Homer and Caspar Friedrich in Jr High Humanities class.”

Now, Maki is settled down and is married to his current wife Dee Ann Maki, and together they have a beautiful daughter Andrea Maki, who like her father is pursuing a career in the arts.

Curve/Diagonal

Robert Maki is known for his minimalist sculptures. Completed in 1979 the Curve/Diagonal sculpture was based of a series of work he had done previously. Maki’s original intent with the sculpture was to focus on how the viewer would perceive the piece during the different times of day. Quoted saying that “I think of my artwork as a fragment of something larger. My sculpture involves illusionary structures and situations lending to perceptual ambiguity in both interior and large-scale outdoor concepts.” Maki’s design In Curve/Diagonal was made to mimic the curves of the north campus dorms Nash and Mathes. Placed by Maki himself in front of those dorms, his positioning of the piece was clearly intentional, almost mirroring the building. Now nearly 50 years old, Curve/Diagonal offered a new look at a concept used in the 60s when many artists began to use non-traditional materials to create large dynamic sculptures. This is where steel plays a big part in the art world, names like Richard Serra used weathering steel and welded these plates together to create this large dynamic piece. The virtual 3D model was designed so that the online viewer can interact with the piece without being there in person. With the collection of pictures, the model will be able to present in different time of day and viewer will be able to see the change of lighting show casing Maki’s true intention for his piece.

Authors: Ashley Ieong, Hailey Grainger, Hayley Merrill
3D Digital Model: Ashley Ieong