South Korea: End of Program by Brooke Chong

Cherry trees in front of a building.
There isn’t one thing I won’t miss about Seoul, but I know that there is so much more I am taking back with me that only makes it more worthwhile.

What have you missed most about the United States? What will you miss about your host country when your return?

Although I never experienced any severe home-sickness, it is funny how many little things you miss when being abroad; the things that have been your idea of normal for so long all of a sudden become so distant and easily slip your mind. Although there are many American franchises and companies that continue to hold great influence in Korea, many aspects of my daily life back at home have changed drastically. Morning runs to the farmers market, driving to work and school every day, eating my favorite snacks, and the ability to just go about my day in leisure attire has since alluded me. However, the things that I have learned to do instead have made me realize how different my life here is, and how much I have become accustomed to it. Venturing to the local markets, taking the bus and subway everywhere I go, picking up quick meals at the convenience store, studying at local cafes, and wearing more popular brand things has become so enjoyable and I know I will miss absolutely everything about this place. There isn’t one thing I won’t miss about Seoul, but I know that there is so much more I am taking back with me that only makes it more worthwhile.

Do you think you’ll experience reverse culture shock when you return? Do you have a plan for how you can immerse back into home campus life and share your experience with family and friends?

After living in a very homogeneous place for so long, I fully expect to experience reverse culture shock when I get back to the US. With a more collective mindset and strong societal pressures that come with everyday life, I feel as though I have adapted very well; however, this is a stark contrast to what I experience back in the US and I hope that I will be able to adjust accordingly. Although I do not have a set plan as to how I will share my experiences, I do know that I do not want to continuously compare every difference that I experienced in the US versus when I was in Korea. I feel as though constantly comparing all varying aspects about different counties is pointless as dwelling on such differences tends to bring out more flaws than positive aspects. Therefore, I hope to share my experiences in an unbiased way and stray from dwelling on any negative comparisons between my life in Korea versus my life in the US.

How do you plan to keep your study abroad experience as a key factor in your life; maintaining friendships, language skills, staying internationally engaged?

I plan to use my study abroad experience in a way that helps me maintain a global perspective when addressing different issues as well as using things I have come to learn about myself in ways that best showcase the person I have become.  One thing that I never thought of is all of the connections I have made, especially ones that are so far away from my home. Although I have cherished all the moments with the incredible people I have been able to meet, learning to keep in touch with them even when we all leave seems to pose more of a challenge. I hope to use this as a great opportunity to stay internationally engaged with so many new friends that live all around the world, connected in such a unique and special way. Maintaining my language skills, however, is one of the major things I do worry about as I do not have as many chances to practice my Korean in my daily life. Nevertheless, I hope to continue with my studies on my own in hopes to learn more and hopefully become confident enough in my speaking skills to freely converse with my Korean friends and family.

One thought on “South Korea: End of Program by Brooke Chong

1. Brendon August 12, 2020 / 3:05 am

I have always wondered how different the approach to education in Asian countries is compared to the American system. There must be a big difference not only in culture and communication but also in learning in Korea. It would be interesting to read about this as well.
    It’s great that you made friends and also improved your language skills. This experience is certainly a great motivation to keep learning!