Mid-Program: “A Day in the Life” by Anna Sutherland

Granada, Spain

I’ve now been abroad for three weeks. In these short three weeks I’ve started making a lifetime of memories and had about a hundred new experiences.

Madrid: My first weekend in Spain I went to Madrid with my new friends. A few memories from this trip include touring the royal palace, the Prado with the famous portrait “Las Meninas,” rooftop views and drinks, and a friendly conversation with a kind French woman. A key moment in Madrid was I had the opportunity to spend time with my Spanish friend Ricardo who I met during Covid on a language exchange app called Hellotalk during the pandemic. A moment we spoke about for three years, and it finally happened. I also was able to meet up with Anna who I also met on Hellotalk a few years ago. She happened to be in Madrid at the same time as me, what a coincidence! Two core memories.

Cordoba: One of my favorite parts about studying in Spain is visiting the places I have read about in class and seeing them for myself. I will say that reading and seeing photos of these places can never compare to the in-person experience. I learned about Cordoba during spring quarter back at Western Washington University and I had the opportunity to visit the city with my program on October 7th. It is a beautiful city full of ancient history and the Islamic influence is very present in the architecture. (A quick history lesson) During the reign of the Muslims in Spain from 711-1492 Cordoba was the capital of what was known as Al-Andaluz. La Mezquita is one of the largest mosques in the world and within it is also a cathedral instilled after the Christians reclaimed Cordoba. One thing I have learned from visiting these historical places is that they are always bigger than photos can show, it is jaw dropping. On the bus ride back home to Granada on my Facebook popped up an article with the 46 most beautiful streets, and the same exact street I had just walked on in Cordoba was on the list.

Granada: I love Granada. It’s as pure and simple as that. It’s one of the few cities in Spain that when you order a drink you get free tapas at most places. My daily routine during the week Monday-Thursday sometimes Friday consists of waking up for 8:30 am class and attending my two morning classes until 12:30 pm. Lunch at the residencia between 1-3 pm then a siesta and homework/work time. Monday’s and Wednesday’s I have class from 6-8 pm so I return to the school and afterwards either eat at the residencia or I go out with my friends for dinner. The nights are open to whatever pops up, music, flamenco shows, karaoke, tapas, etc…

Read more: Mid-Program: “A Day in the Life” by Anna Sutherland