Pre-Departure: Czech Republic “The Calm Before the Storm”- A week before departure – by McKenzie Harris

Prague – White bridge over river in daytime – Unsplash Photo @leachmar

“The Calm Before the Storm”- A week before departure

Hi everyone!

This first entry in my study abroad record will hopefully orient you to where I am in my preparations for studying abroad, as well as go over the main steps I’ve taken up to now. For those of you who are here for fun pictures and stories about what I’m up to in Prague, you will be sadly disappointed by this post, as it will hopefully be very dry compared to my future ones. This post is also partly to test if I know how to post things on WordPress. As of right now, I don’t really know how to use this website, so fair warning: the formatting of my posts and pictures will be quite lackluster.

My completed pre-departure tasks from earlier this year:
– Visa application
– register for classes
– buy plane tickets
– register with STEP
– paperwork both from my host school and home school’s abroad department
– make a budget estimate with my advisor
– figure out how to switch my cell service provider to get a better international plan

As summer made its way into the year and my abroad trip got closer, I switched my focus to the more exciting things—learning the language, deciding what to bring, and researching the Czech Republic.

The notebook I’ve been using to record what I’ve learned of the Czech language.

An example of an average ill-organized page!

I think part of being a respectful traveler is making an effort to learn some of the country’s language. Since I’ll be in Prague for 4 months, I’m trying to learn as much Czech as I can before I leave. I’m focusing more on learning common words and conversational phrases than grammar, thankfully (I’m not going anywhere near the seven Czech cases any time soon!). My main resources for language learning have been youtube (mainly Czech with Kateřina but there are many good channels!), duolingo, a podcast (One Minute Czech), and quizlet flashcards.

Part of my packing list.

Ideas for the things to do in Prague!

In addition to learning Czech, I’ve also had fun researching Czech history, customs, geography/things to do, and food. For these things, youtube has been my best source (travel vlogs, tour guide videos, etc). As you can see above, I made a list of ideas for things to do and places to go while I’m there, and nearly all of these items came from videos I’ve watched. There are so many places in Prague itself that I want to see, not counting all of the cool places outside it. I’m very excited to try some Czech dishes, like knedlíky (dumplings), svíčková (cream sauce over a roast), bramboráky (potato pancakes), and trdelník (a swirly pastry!).

I leave for Prague on Sept 2, which is a week from tomorrow. As the date looms closer, Prague feels no more real than it did when I applied to this program, but I’ve gotten some nerves about the trip that I didn’t feel until now. I’m nervous about being lonely in a new country, and about the way that every simple task feels complicated in a foreign place. I’m also nervous about things like my safety, transportation, and the immigration process.

But I’ve prepared as best I can, and I hope that will allow me to be flexible while I’m traveling and adapt to the inevitable complications that may arise. During this trip, I hope to lean into the experience of being alone in my dream city, because there’s freedom in being my own company, I think. I also hope to meet interesting people, participate in my interesting psychology classes, take too many pictures, and share them here with all of you.

Na shledanou!