Logistical tips for studying abroad

This post had to come eventually! It will be fairly boring to anyone who isn’t planning an upcoming study abroad trip, so please don’t feel obligated to read this if you’re just following along with my pictures and updates about my trip. The following post will include various practical things I’ve learned about traveling to a new country, including language learning, cell service/technology, packing, and shopping. My very first post (“The calm before the storm”) shares some of my pre-departure tasks and how I prepared for my trip; I will repeat some things from that post but I still recommend reading it.

Packing

I decided to bring one large suitcase, one small suitcase, and a backpack to Prague. I tend to overpack, so it took a lot of deliberating and precise folding to finagle everything I wanted to bring into that luggage. I had to be very picky about what I brought, but that being said, I also think it’s important to bring sentimental and comforting things with you. After all, when you study abroad, your host location will be your home for several months, so it’s important to make it feel like a home, not a hotel. For reference, I brought some framed pictures for my desk, some non-framed pictures to tape on my wall, a small Wonder Woman plastic figure from my mom, and my boyfriend’s oversized puffer coat.

Despite being very strict about what clothes I brought, I still have clothing items that I rarely wear. So one tip is: if you’re trying to lighten your packing load, pay special attention to your clothes, because that’s usually the category where you can remove the most things without causing problems. I know a favored solution to the packing problem is buying things at your host location, but I wanted to avoid that as much as possible. I didn’t want to spend money on redundant things and then have to throw them out or bring them home in extra luggage. I decided to only buy toiletries here (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc), and packed everything else I needed.

The things I’m most grateful to have brought are:

• my nice camera
  • an extra folded-up duffel bag (for the trip home)
  • extra bags for shopping
  • my pictures
  • a portable charger
  • a small padlock
  • winter gear
  • small first aid kit
  • my kindle
^my pile of things that I packed^

Technology

For international cell service, I decided to leave my family’s Verizon plan because its international charges were too high. I got Google Fi instead, and used its “flexible” plan so I paid monthly based on how much data I used. I recommend this option if you’ll only be away for 2-3 months, but not longer, because after around 2 months, Google Fi told me it was canceling my international coverage since I wasn’t using it in the US. Apparently, that little stipulation was in the fine print that I didn’t read carefully enough. As an alternative, I recommend trying an e-sim card, because they’re digital and they usually allow you to keep your existing phone number. Another option is to buy a physical sim card once you get to your location. A group of friends of mine did this and got a big family plan at a local T-Mobile in Prague, so they got to split the cost of the plan. They call themselves “sim siblings.”

Other technology tips:

• Bring multiple outlet adaptors, or a single adapter with multiple charging ports, because I only brought one and had to buy another when I realized I couldn’t charge my phone and laptop at the same time.
  • A portable charger comes in very handy!
  • I recommend bringing any kind of camera that you have, to take higher quality pictures and avoid using up your phone battery while traveling.

Language learning:

I tried to learn some Czech over the summer to prepare for my semester in Prague. Here are the main tools I used:

• On Spotify: Czech music playlists, and the One Minute Czech podcast
  • I kept a notebook where I wrote down everything I learned, and brought that notebook with me everywhere
  • Duolingo
  • Quizlet (after writing what I learned in my notebook, I made a ton of flashcards so I could test myself)
  • Czech With Katerina (youtube channel): this was the most important tool I used, because Katerina has almost 30 episodes of Czech language instruction, along with free worksheets that you can print and fill out every episode. She even has little quizzes!

I learned quite a few words/phrases over the summer, but interestingly, I’ve hardly learned any more since I got here. For one thing, since I’m at an English-speaking school, I’m not surrounded by Czech-speaking people. In addition, after I learned basic greetings and etiquette over the summer, the sheer volume of vocabulary and grammar rules beyond that was so overwhelming that I haven’t really made any progress since I arrived. I have gotten to use the Czech that I do know, however, which has been fun. One thing I like is that the Czech locals will usually begin a conversation in Czech, not English, even if they can tell I’m a foreigner. I appreciate that they let me initiate a conversation in Czech, even if I then follow it with an embarrassing display of my ignorance of the language 🙂

^my czech notebook^

Some miscellaneous tips

• Public transport may seem overwhelming at first, but google maps and apple maps have a transit feature that will tell you exactly how to get where you need to go. Follow them, and pay attention to which side of the street you need to be on depending on the direction you’re traveling.
  • If you’re coming to Europe from the USA, you may need to get used to shopping more frequently and in smaller “batches” than in America. Since I’m sharing a small food storage space with 5 roommates, I can’t buy very much food at one time, so I shop more frequently than I do at home.
  • Seeing everything labeled in a different language can be confusing, but google translate has a photo option that translates the words in your picture. I use this almost every day for shopping, cooking, etc.
  • do some research on your host area ahead of time, so you can prepare for the climate, understand the locals, and start a list of things you want to do (especially things that will require planning).

If there are any students reading this who have further questions about preparing to study abroad, feel free to reach out to me!