Denmark: Mid Program: “A Day in the Life” by Megan Dale

Mid Program: “A Day in the Life”

I just got back from a 5 day study tour in Berlin, Germany and man oh man am I happy to be back in Copenhagen. Berlin was the most amazing experience which I will hold so dear to my heart for the rest of my life, but coming back to Copenhagen felt like coming home. I adore Copenhagen. The air feels lighter here than anywhere I have been before. It’s easier to breathe here. My favorite thing about Copenhagen is that the world seems at peace when you’re in Copenhagen. Even at midnight on a Friday night walking past all the bars. People just seem genuinely happy.

With such a short program it is hard to do a day in the life because my days are constantly changing. I have an intensive class that I go to for at least 3 hours a day Monday through Friday, but other than that nothing is set in stone. The only plan I have every day is to explore something new. That something new could be a new coffee shop (which are EVERYWHERE here) or maybe going our to a bar (which I live right in the middle of all of them). Planning your day is hard here, but it never turns out boring.

The thing that has surprised me the most is that I don’t feel like my goals are even the same as when I left anymore. Coming abroad has completely changed my perspective on the world and on myself and now I’ve been reevaluating what I really want out of this experience. I haven’t quite figured it out yet, but I’ll let you know when I do.

When it comes to getting involved with the community, the Danes have taught me something important. Don’t do anything unless you intend to invest your time and dive deep into the community, activity, or even just a conversation with great passion. Nothing should be done half way. Truly be present with the people around you and your investment will surely pay off.

www.juneincopenhagen.tumblr.com