Czech Republic: Post Program Reflections by Laurel Messenger

It feels like just a few days ago that I was walking the cobblestone streets of Prague, heading to class or one of my favorite coffee shops.

Ahoj Everyone! This is my last blog about my study abroad experience in Prague. It is crazy that I have already been back home for several weeks. It feels like just a few days ago that I was walking the cobblestone streets of Prague, heading to class or one of my favorite coffee shops.

The longer I have been back the harder it has gotten to adjust into life at home. I miss Prague. While everyone has been so welcoming with my return, I have a slight feeling in the back of my mind that something is out of place.

Maybe it’s me? Maybe it’s just how everything has changed since I left? Either way, it’s not an easy feeling to grapple with. I left Bellingham when things were going well for me. I felt like I had finally found my place, my rhythm, and my people. Returning back to the chaos of school and trying to figure out every other part of my life is hard. Maybe it’s just a lot to handle at the same time as trying to readjust to life back in Bellingham. I know the feeling will pass, I know I will be okay because I always am. It is just not a pleasant feeling, trying to fit back into the same puzzle from before when my edges are different now.

Being away from everything I knew helped me gain confidence in all areas of my life. I am more comfortable taking risks and stepping outside my comfort zone. I also feel comfortable taking on bigger tasks at work and in my community. I don’t feel complacent anymore by just getting by, I want to do more.

Another development that occurred when abroad was that my passion for learning was reignited. I had gotten into a pattern of passing classes and focusing on my degree. That isn’t a bad thing, but I think I just lost sight of the importance of learning and taking initiative to expand my knowledge. Being in a city and culture unfamiliar to me and different from what I grew up around created the desire to know more and to understand. The classes in my program also helped to develop questions in my own life and led to a lot of reflection.

For anyone considering study abroad or on the fence about it — do it. You might have an idea of what it might be like or what you will learn and experience, but it is just so much more and different than what you could ever imagine. Challenges will arise that you never thought would, you will succeed and fail, and you will see the world in a different way. It’s an amazing way to discover more about yourself and the world at the same time.

The ability to study abroad depends on several variables. Your current financial situation is a big factor. There are scholarships to apply to through the school as well as online that can help finance your trip. Another variable is the reasoning “ I don’t have room for it in my schedule”– make room. Go over the summer, stay an extra quarter. There are so many ways to make it work. If you need help in the process, go to the study abroad office on campus, and if you go to Western, check out the AS Global Ambassadors Club. Now that I am back, I want to participate in the club to still feel connected to my time in Prague as well as help others prepare for their time abroad.

Before going abroad, I didn’t have any expectations. I had never traveled to another country before. I had no idea what to pack, what to expect from being dropped in another country, or how I would adjust to the new things around me.

For my first time in a new country, I adjusted well. I was full of so much excitement and curiosity, that it made being so far away from home easier than I had expected.

While everything abroad went well, there are a few things I would do differently now that I have experienced study abroad. For starters, I would save more money. Even though Prague is relatively cheap compared to most places, I wasn’t completely prepared for how much everything would cost. I also would try and talk with more locals. My program didn’t provide a lot of opportunities to meet people in the community. The only time I got a good chance to meet with the Czech community was when I helped teach some English at a small Czech elementary school. The experience was amazing, and I wish I had more opportunities like that when I was abroad.

I know I will not be going abroad again during my time in college, but I have considered teaching English abroad once I graduate. I don’t want my study abroad experience to be the only international travel I have done. I want to see more of the world.

Being able to call Prague my home and travel around Europe meant the world to me. It helped me see how blessed I am, and that I am surrounded by such a loving community and family. My heart and eyes became more open to the struggles of the world. I discovered more of who I am, the good and the bad. Thank you to everyone who made this experience possible and who supported me while I was away.

Na shledanou!

https://medium.com/@laurel.messenger/life-back-in-bellingham-940c979c3b54